San Fernando Valley is known as the “Valley of the Stars”, thanks to the numerous movies and TV shows that came to life in the many film studios here, including the Walt Disney Company, NBC Universal Studios, Warner Bros., and the NBC and ABC television studios. The valley has also been the residence of some of the biggest names in the film industry, from Lucille Ball and Marilyn Monroe to Sally Field and Tom Selleck.
As impressive as all this sounds, San Fernando Valley has even more attractions and destinations to offer, from historical sites and museums to some of the best shopping and dining in the United States.
With a population of over 1.7 million, the area has a robust economy anchored not only on the entertainment industry but also on aerospace, being the home of Northrop Grumman and Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne.
Bounded by mountains and hills, San Fernando Valley combines the tranquility of suburban living with the convenience of a major commercial center. Downtown Los Angeles and the Los Angeles International Airport are nearby, along with the Los Angeles River, mountain parks, and other outdoor destinations.
Real estate in San Fernando Valley
The valley is home to distinct communities, each with its own special charm and appeal. Many neighborhoods are actually part of the City of Los Angeles, providing great access to all the urban amenities the megacity has to offer.
Residents and outsiders divide the valley into four geographical areas:
- North Valley – This heavily residential section is made up of old and new communities. It’s home to several gated neighborhoods where you’ll find gorgeous upscale homes, as well as ranches, farms, and multifamily properties.
- South Valley – This part of San Fernando Valley runs along Ventura Boulevard, which is considered the valley’s cultural alley and the site of excellent shops and restaurants. Many of the finest luxury homes in the valley can be found right here, in communities like Encino, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, North Hollywood, and Tarzana. In addition to single-family homes, condos also form part of the housing stock.
- East Valley – The densest section of San Fernando Valley, East Valley is where you’ll find many of the film studios and soundstages the area is known for. The city of Burbank features numerous upscale homes in various ages, including several equestrian properties. Condos are also popular in the area.
- West Valley – The newest section of San Fernando Valley, West Valley encompasses communities that are closest to the valley’s natural attractions. It’s home to upscale single-family properties, particularly in Calabasas, as well as in West Hills, Woodland Hills, and others.
Living in San Fernando Valley
- Diverse attractions
San Fernando Valley offers a wide and diverse array of destinations and activities, from studio tours and theme parks to historic museums. Among the most popular attractions in the area are:
- Six Flags Magic Mountain
- Universal Studios
- Griffith Park Observatory
- Leonis Adobe Museum
- Higher education
The education sector in the San Fernando Valley provides jobs and highly-skilled manpower, with respected institutions like Cal Tech University, Northridge, Woodbury University, four community colleges, and the campuses of several universities and colleges found right here.
- Outdoor activities
Live the active lifestyle in the valley, with outdoor activities that include horseback riding, hiking, boating, and golf. Some of the places to go include:
- Lake Balboa
- Sepulveda Basin Wildlife Preserve
- Griffith Park
- DeBell Golf Club
Looking for the perfect home in the San Fernando Valley? I can help. Get in touch with me here or call 661-219-0117 or 818-667-5108.